In addition to the fresh fruits and vegetables available from Hy-Vee, growing your own produce is a fun activity that provides a variety of nutrition, health and wellness benefits for the whole family.
In addition to teaching young children about where fruits and vegetables come from, gardening inspires children to make healthier eating choices. Gardening with children gives parents an opportunity to talk about the connection between eating fresh food and good health.
Besides being a great family activity, gardening has many other benefits:
- Stress Relief: Researchers found just 30 minutes of gardening is more effective at fighting stress than other leisure activities.
- Me-Time: Gardening provides much needed “me” time which can enhance your mood and make you feel happier.
- Brain Health: Researchers found a 36 to 47 percent lower risk for dementia in 60- to 70-year-olds who gardened regularly for years.
- Eat Healthy: When you plant fruits and vegetables, you will likely eat more of them! Eating meals that are filled with fruits and vegetables contributes to a healthier life for children and adults alike.
- Get Active: Tending to your garden gets you outside regularly to soak up vitamin D from the sun and to engage in purposeful exercise, including stretching.