Summer is a great time to experiment with the fresh flavors of the season, and berries can be a trendy and healthy way to create something new. Try these different sweet and savory ideas to liven up your summertime parties and grill out menus.
- Raspberry Mustard: Using a food processor or blender, puree raspberries and mix with your favorite Dijon mustard. This mustard pairs well with grilled turkey or chicken burgers.
- Cherry Chipotle BBQ sauce: Chop 1 cup of fresh pitted cherries and mix into a container of a chipotle-flavored BBQ sauce. Refrigerate overnight for the flavors to blend before use on chicken or pork.
- Berry Ice Cubes: Place whole blueberries, raspberries or blackberries in ice cube trays, cover with water and freeze to create colorful ice cubes for water or your favorite spirits.
- Strawberry Relish: Finely chop 1 cup strawberries and 2 seeded jalapenos and mix with 2 tablespoons of strawberry preserves; let rest for 30 minutes before serving. A delicious topping for your favorite turkey or chicken sausage.
- Blueberry Salsa: Gently combine 1 avocado (diced), half a sweet white onion (chopped), 2 tomatoes (diced), ½ cup fresh blueberries and 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Strawberry Ketchup: Using a food processor or blender, puree strawberries and mix with your ketchup of choice. Tastes great with baked sweet potato fries.