Did you know that pork tenderloin is recognized as a heart-healthy food by the American Heart Association (AHA)? The AHA recently certified pork tenderloin as a heart-healthy food with its iconic Heart-Check mark, which means that you can enjoy pork tenderloin as part of a heart-healthy diet.
The Heart–Check mark is reserved for foods that meet the following standards:
- Total fat: less than 6.5 grams (g)
- Saturated fat: 1 g or less and 15% or less calories from saturated fat
- Trans fat: less than 0.5 g(per label serving)
- Cholesterol: 20 milligrams (mg) or less- Sodium: 480 mg or less (per label serving)
- Beneficial nutrients: 10% or more of the Daily Value of one of six nutrients (vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, calcium,protein or dietary fiber).
Not only does pork tenderloin meet the AHA requirements for fat, cholesterol, sodium and protein, but pork tenderloin is also a source of several key vitamins and minerals. These include the B vitamins thiamin, niacin, pyridoxine and riboflavin, and minerals like phosphorus, potassium and zinc. B vitamins help convert food to energy and promote healthy skin, hair, muscles and brain function, while phosphorus
helps to strengthen bones and generate energy in our cells. Potassium helps to maintain normal blood
pressure and zinc works to keep our immune system healthy. Power up with pork tenderloin today for lean protein and essential vitamins and minerals!